Kodansha’s Weekly Morning — publisher of Takehiko Inoue’s Vagabond, Makoto Yukimura’s Planetes, Fumi Yoshinaga’s Kinō Nani Tabeta?, and other titles — is accepting entries to the fourth round of its International Manga Competition.
All international manga and comic artists — including professionals, are encouraged to submit their entries on or before 31st December 2009.
The Grand Prize winner will receive US $5000, while two runners-up will receive US $2000 each. In addition to the cash prize, the Grand Prize winner will have his entry published in the pages of a special issue of Morning Magazine. The winners will also be mentored by Morning Editors and Staff for the further development and possible commercial publication of their winning works.
• Submitted works must be twelve to fifty pages long, and must not have been previously published in any commercially released magazines, books, or anthologies, in any country.
• Submitted works can be done on any type of paper, using any kind of drawing tools, whether in full color or in black-and-white; however, winning pieces done in color may be published in black and white in Morning Magazine.
If preferred, you may use the industry standards for Japanese manga, which are normally drawn on B4-sized paper in black ink, with a 270mm x 180 mm frame.
• All text and dialogue should be be written clearly in your native language, or in Japanese.
• Submissions may be submitted in a CDR / DVDR or other digital storage media. However, the organizers request printed copies to be included with the digital entries.
• Do not forget to include a curriculum vitae with your submitted entry, containing your name, age, address, occupation, and contact information (phone/e-mail).
• Applications may be sent via mail or courier to:
Kodansha Morning M. I. C. C.
2-12-21 Otowa, Bunkyo-ku
Winners will be selected by the Morning International Comics Competition Committee. Winners will be announced on March 2010 on the Morning website. For more information, please visit their official homepage at: E-MORNING.JP.